The Sound of Music is a UK VHS release by CBS/Fox Video on 5th September 1988, CBS/Fox Video on 10th September 1990 and CBS/Fox Video on 14th September 1992 and Fox Video on 5th September 1994 and by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment on 3rd November 1997.
Classic 1960s musical starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. Former nun Maria (Andrews) becomes the governess for a family of seven children who live in the shadow of their domineering and repressed widower father Captain Von Trapp (Plummer). Along with the required discipline Maria brings love, music and excitement into the children's lives and also eventually begins to have an effect on their father. But just when things are looking up, the rise of Nazism and the threat of the coming war darkens all their futures. The cast also includes Charmian Carr, Nicholas Hammond and Eleanor Parker.
- Julie Andrews as Maria von Trapp
- Christopher Plummer as Captain von Trapp
- Bill Lee overdubbed Plummer's singing
- Eleanor Parker as Baroness Elsa von Schraeder
- Richard Haydn as Max Detweiler
- Peggy Wood as the Mother Abbess
- Charmian Carr as Liesl von Trapp
- Nicholas Hammond as Friedrich von Trapp
- Heather Menzies as Louisa von Trapp
- Duane Chase as Kurt von Trapp
- Angela Cartwright as Brigitta von Trapp
- Debbie Turner as Marta von Trapp
- Kym Karath as Gretl von Trapp
- Anna Lee as Sister Margaretta
- Portia Nelson as Sister Berthe
- Ben Wright as Herr Zeller
- Daniel Truhitte as Rolfe
- Norma Varden as Frau Schmidt, housekeeper
- Gil Stuart as Franz, servant
- Marni Nixon as Sister Sophia
- Ada Beth Lee as Sister Catherine (uncredited)
- Doreen Tryden as Sister Agatha (uncredited)
- Evadne Baker as Sister Bernice
- Doris Lloyd as Baroness Ebberfeld
Trailers and infoEdit
- The Rogers & Hammerstein Collection with clips of "Oklahoma!", "South Pacific", "State Fair", "The King and I", "Carousel" and "The Sound of Music".
- The Musical Classics Collection with clips of "Hello, Dolly!", "Stormy Weather", "Daddy Long Legs", "Can-Can", "Doctor Dolittle" and "My Fair Lady".